Your green organics bin is the 240 litre bin with the green lid. It is collected fortnightly on the days marked in green on the calendar. Check your calendar here
^This service excludes rural living areas and non-residential land-uses in the District Centre Zone of Millicent and Town Centre Zones of Penola and Beachport.
Everything that you put in your green waste bin goes to Van Schaiks Bio Gro at Wandilo for large scale composting.
Items that CAN be placed in your green organics bin include:
- Lawn clippings
- Small prunings and cuttings
- Bark, small branches and twigs
- Cut flowers
- Sweepings, or
- Food scraps (in compostable bags)*
*For more information on placing food and kitchen scraps in your organics been click here.
Items that CAN NOT be placed in your green organics bin include:
- Plastic bags, plant pots or trays
- Painted or treated timber
- Stones, rocks, bricks or rubble
- Dirt, soil or sand
- Branches larges than 15cm in diameter
- Gardening tools, or
- Irrigation hoses
Tips for looking after your green organics bin
The green organics bin can become heavy and/or odorous after prolonged periods. To avoid compaction and improve air circulation in your bin please see the following handy tips:
- Place coarser materials, such as sticks or branches, in the base of the bin.
- Aim for a mixture of coarse and fine organic materials throughout. This will also prevent lawn clippings sticking to the bottom of your bin.
- Place organic material in the bin as near as you can to your collection day.
- Store the green organics bin away from direct sunlight.
- Ensure your kitchen scraps are contained in a compostable bag.
- If you don’t have grass or garden clippings, line your bin with newspaper, it will prevent smelly residue from your food scraps.
What can I do with my other garden trimmings?
Larger items of green waste can also be deposited at any of Council’s Resource Recovery or Waste Transfer facilities free of charge.
Locations and opening times for Council’s Resource Recovery Centres and Waste Transfer Stations are available here.